The "Loop" area of University City where the conference will be held has large free parking lots as well as a number of spots available with parking meters. It is recommended to use the large free lots immediately behind the Moonrise Hotel between Skinker and Rosedale.
Getting from Lambert Airport to the Moonrise Hotel
The Moonrise Hotel is approximately a 12 mile drive from Lambert Airport. A taxicab would cost approximately $30 excluding tip. For information on taxicab service from the airport, visit the STL ground transportation page.
The St. Louis Metrolink light-rail train links Lambert Airport to the Delmar Loop. A pdf map of the Metrolink is available here.
If you fly with Southwest Airlines, you’ll land at the “Lambert Airport East” station stop; if you fly with any other airline, you’ll land at the “Lambert Airport Main” station stop. From either airport station stop, you’ll get on the Eastbound train (headed toward “Shiloh-Scott”) and take the train to the “Delmar Loop” station stop. (If you get on the train at “Lambert Airport East,” you’ll take the train 6 stops, and the ride takes 15 minutes. If you get on the train at “Lambert Airport Main,” you’ll take the train 7 stops, and the ride takes 17 minutes.)
As a general rule, the trains come every 15-20 minutes. Timetables for the Metrolink are available here. To use the Metrolink, you can purchase a ticket (usually $2.25, but $3.75 from the Airport) from an automated machine (cash only, no bills larger than a ten) on the platform and then validate your ticket by inserting it into the red validation machines nearby, which will stamp you ticket. Carry the stamped ticket with you aboard the train.
When you get off the train the Delmar Loop stop, you’ll have a short walk to the Moonrise Hotel. After exiting the train, walk from the platform up the stairs, and turn left at the top – you’re now on Des Peres Street. Then, after a very short walk, turn right onto Delmar Blvd, and walk a couple of blocks to the Moonrise Hotel, which will be on your right. It has a giant rotating moon on top; you can’t miss it.
Moonrise Hotel Group Rate
The Moonrise Hotel is by far the most convenient hotel for the conference. The MetroLink light rail system has stops at the airport, directly behind the hotel, and downtown, among other points of interest.
A block of rooms has been reserved at a special rate of $169 per night. To reserve a room at the special conference rate, call 1-314-721-1111 and ask for “The Strange Loop Conference” Group Block for reservations or by going to http://www.moonrisehotel.com and using promo code STRANGE. If the block is sold out, you may still be able to reserve a room at a higher rate.
The following hotels may also be convenient depending on your mode of travel and budget:
- Cheshire Lodge - 6300 Clayton Rd. - 800-325-7378. Not on the MetroLink line but a few minutes away.
- Chase Park Hotel - 212 N. Kingshighway Blvd - . More expensive hotel in another nice walking area of St. Louis with great restaurants called the Central West End. Short walk to the MetroLink line and just a couple stops from the Loop.
- Parkway Hotel - 4550 Forest Park Ave - . Another hotel in the Central West End. Short walk to the Metrolink line and just a couple stops from the Loop.
- Red Roof Inn - 5823 Wilson Ave. - 314-645-0101. Not on the Metrolink line but in the traditional Italian part of St. Louis known as "The Hill". Moderately priced.
- Springhill Suites by Marriott - 1231 Strassner Drive - . Possible to walk to the MetroLink station but slightly farther and more complicated. Moderately priced.
The Loop is a six block area in University City, Missouri and one of the favorite places to gather in St. Louis. Its proximity to Washington University and entertainment highlights like Blueberry Hill, the Pageant, and the Pin-Up Bowl, the Loop is always full of fun and funky people. You can also visit dozens of other shops, restaurants, and entertainment destinations.